Thursday, August 31, 2006

Things to do in Bordeaux when you are dead

Even after 3 weeks of recuperation, I still feel tired after my near-mugging experience. I'm pretty much off the pain-killers now, although there is still a constant level of pain but I am on the mend. It's going to be a good 3 months before I can chew properly, by which time I reckon I should be a real conniseur of soups. I've made a number myself and have been scouring the supermarket shelves for ready made ones, my favourite being a lentil dhal.

Otherwise the real problem has been entertaining myself - I've watched a godawful amount of TV shows on DVD lately, to the point of numbness. From 24 through The 4400, via Grey's Anatomy to The X-Files, with a L-Word detour thrown in. Next up will be Battlestar Galactica, but I have to agree with my mate Pete, when he says that it is life in suburban America which must be so frightfully boring that has led to the creation of such "watchable" TV Shows.

Maybe it's that I have been stuck at home by myself lately, but there is something addictive in the way that 24 or Lost is put together that it is difficult to stop watching the idiot box. Yeah, I know it's all crap, and it's been years since I've watched so much TV but I do still watch the shows with my critical faculties intact. 24, in it's own way has a lot to say about the modern police state, terrorism and especially in season 4, with the limits or lack thereof in torturing people.

The X-Files which deals with numerous conspiracy theories, is interesting to watch for its interpretation of the pre-911 FBI, primarily as an investigative agency, rather than part of the neo-facist apparatus of state control which it has become.

OK, OK. I gotta get out the house more.

No comments: